October 20, 2017
Time is running out to purchase last year's Yearbook. Make sure to buy yours in the office for $60 today.
Kent City High School Drama Club would like to invite you to come and see our Fall Musical: Little Shop of Horrors. Performances are Thursday, October 26th at 7pm, Saturday, October 28th at 8pm and Sunday October 29th at 3pm. Tickets are $10 at the door. We hope to see you there!
It is time to step up and save some lives! You can do so by donating blood on Friday, October 27th here at Kent City High School. You can sign up with Mr. Jakiemiec this week! Donors must be 16 or older. You can get out of class, eat some cookies, and know that you are giving the gift of life!
The Middle School and High School bands would like to invite you to our annual "Band-O-Rama" concert on October 24th at 6:30 pm in the HS Gym. Admission is free.
Attention NHS students and others needing community service hours, the Elementary is looking for volunteers to help with Literacy Night (formerly known as Math and Reading Night) on October 26th, from 6:30-8:00 pm. Please see Mrs. Kent for more details.
Come out this Saturday and support your Marching Eagles at the Jenison Invitational. The band will be performing at 3:30 pm and would love to have a big section of fans there to cheer them on.
Attention Juniors, you can begin bringing your $20 class dues to Mrs. Denhof in the office, Please have these turned in no later than November 17th!
Driver Education Information. Please contact Courtesy Driving School at 800-256-9559 to register your student for Segment I or Segment II.
Segment One Schedule
Oct. 30-Nov. 21 M,W,TH / M,T,W,TH / M,T,TH / M,T 3:15-5:15 p.m.
Segment Two Schedule
Nov. 10, 15, 17 F,W,F 3:15-5:15 p.m.
SOCCER PLAYERS - In case you forgot your order form and money for apparel, the deadline is extended one day! Get yours in by 3 pm Monday to get your cool soccer gear!
The JV Football team dominated the Vikings of Tri County last night 32-0, to record yet another shut out on the season. The Eagles scored right away in the game to take a 6-0 lead, and by halftime were up 12-0. A few mental mistakes cost the Eagles from opening up the game in the first half, but they bounced back and tacked on 3 more touchdowns in the second half to win 32-0. Scoring for the Eagles were Will Wright, Dolan Bair, Bryant Fahling and Lane Dailey. Great offensive and defensive efforts by the team, as the vikings barely moved the ball most of the game. The Eagles finish as Silver League Champions and also had a final record of 6-3. Great season and great team effort in every contest played. Good luck to all JV players as they move up to Varsity for the playoffs!!!!!
STUDENT SERVICE SECTION
COLLEGE VISITS AT KENT CITY
10/23/17 - Aquinas College at 10:00 am
10/31/17 - FSU at 9:00 am
GRCC Fall Open House
Saturday, October 28th - 10 am-1 pm
Scholarship given to an attendee, tours, FAFSA completion, refreshments & more
GVSU Laker Days – Campus visits for high school seniors. Register online at gvsu.edu/visit
Friday, October 27
Saturday, November 18
Job Shadowing: All students must complete two job shadows as part of your graduation requirements. See Student Services under High School on our school website for all the details.
Student Email Addresses: Mr. Wilson is using student email addresses (@kentcityschools.org) to send information related to careers, events, job shadow experiences, scheduling and more. You should forward these emails to your parents after reading them :) Please check your school email addresses regularly. Also, use firstname.lastname@example.org to ask Mr. Wilson school related questions.
FAFSA - MCC on Friday's: Muskegon Community College offers free help filling out the FAFSA on Fridays. Call for an appointment.
FAFSA Presentation - FAFSA Workshop and Completion Night at Kent City HS: On Wednesday, October 25 at 6:30 in the HS library, families will have an opportunity to learn about the Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). GRCC staff will be at Kent City HS to help families get on the computer and complete the FAFSA! Completing the FAFSA typically takes between 30 minutes to one hour. Important documents you will want to bring with you if you would like GRCC staff to help you are: Social Security #'s (student, parents, step parents), Federal Tax Returns from 2016 (student, parents, step parents) and Benefit and asset information from 2016 (student, parents, step-parents). FAFSA ID– Login to http://fsaid.ed.gov before October 25 to create your FASFA ID. (Student and one parent, step-parent)
SAT/ACT Fee Waiver: Test fee waivers are available to economically disadvantaged 11th/12th graders. You are allowed to waiver the SAT or ACT Test fee twice. See Mr. Wilson for the qualifying information and the fee waiver #'s.
College Application Fee Waivers: Application fee waivers are available to economically disadvantaged applicants. See Mr. Wilson for the qualifying information and/or check college admission information on their websites for details.
Selective Service: Are you male? Are you 18 or going to be 18? If so, you MUST register with the Selective Service. This must be done within 30 days before and 30 days after your 18th birthday. Check the "Student Services" section of our school website for online instructions.
SENIOR BASH INFORMATION
Parents of 2018 graduates,
Please either request to join the “Kent City Class of 2018 Senior Bash Parent Group” Facebook page or email Carla Campbell (email@example.com) for important Senior Bash information.
Next meeting is Sunday, 10/29/17, 6 pm, Papa Piccione’s
Carla Campbell and Mary Wilson are teaming up to prepare a collection of pictures for our seniors to be given to them Senior Bash night. Mary has a lot of pictures she has taken through the years at many different school events, sporting events and extracurricular activities, but we want to be sure all the seniors get represented. So we need the help of all senior parents!
What do we need from YOU!:
• Start going back over your old pictures of your senior(s) (preschool to present) at school functions and get them made into digital format. Pictures that are the best are group pictures in which there are two or more classmates together (more seniors get represented that way).
• Once you have those digital pictures, you can either email them to Mary (firstname.lastname@example.org) or take them to the HS office on a labeled thumb drive (so we know who to give it back to).
• Please do not leave actual pictures in the office for us. We do not want to be responsible for your precious pictures. Nor do we want to scan hundreds of pictures and try to remember who to get them back to.
• You can scan pictures at Sam’s Club for a very reasonable price. Heidi Warmuskerken also said she has a scanner at her house and that she would be willing to scan pictures for people that do not have access to one.
• Please go through the pictures you are going to send to us. It is alright to send an occasional picture of an individual student, but, as stated earlier, pictures of at least two or more students in it are best! We want everyone represented as evenly as possible. But along that same note, if parents do not provide pictures of their student and their friends, we can only use the pictures that we have taken or that have been provided to us.
• As the school year goes along, the yearbook staff will be asking for a baby picture and senior picture of each senior, we will be able to get each of those from them, so you do not need to also send those to us.
351 North Main Street
Kent City, MI 49330