Parent and Student Tablet Handbook
The following policies refer to the use of an individual student computing device, an Asus Tablet. Students are also required to follow all the guidelines outlined in the Kent City Community School's current "Technology Acceptable Use Policy". As Kent City's technology initiative centers on new devices, software, and educational methodologies, additional policies will continually be reviewed and updated. Please refer to the Kent City Community School's website for the most up-to-date information.
Care and Maintenance of the Tablet
- Do not attempt to gain access to the internal electronics or repair your tablet. If your Tablet fails to work or is damaged, report the problem to your school's main office as soon as possible. Tablet repair/replacement options will be determined by school's administration. You may be issued a temporary Tablet or other materials until your Tablet is working properly or replaced.
- Never leave a Tablet unattended. When not in your personal possession, the Tablet should be in a secure, locked environment. Unattended tablets will be collected and stored in the school's main office.
- Never expose a Tablet to long term extremes in temperature or direct sunlight. An automobile is not a good place to store a Tablet.
- Tablets do not respond well to liquids. Avoid applying liquids to the Tablet. The Tablet can be cleaned with a soft, dry, lint-free cloth. Do not use window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean the tablet. Use of unapproved cleaners may remove the protective film covering the face of the Tablet.
- While the Tablet is scratch resistant, it will scratch. Avoid using any sharp object(s) on the Tablet.
- Your Tablet comes with a case. The role of the case is to protect it, especially while being transported. It is best to leave the Tablet in its case as much as possible.
- Avoid placing weight on the Tablet.
- Never throw or slide a Tablet.
- Your Tablet comes with ports for charging and other accessories. Care must be exercised when plugging and unplugging accessories. Student-issued Tablet accessories are the responsibility of the student.
- Each Tablet can be remotely located. Modifying, disabling or attempting to disable the locator is a violation of the acceptable use policy and grounds for disciplinary action.
- Each Tablet has a unique identification number and at no time should the numbers or labels be modified or removed.
- Do not lend your Tablet to another person. Each Tablet is assigned to an individual and the responsibility for the care of the Tablet solely rests with that individual.
- The Tablet is an electronic device and care must be exercised when handling the Tablet. Never throw a book bag that contains a Tablet. Never place a Tablet in a book bag that contains food, liquids, heavy, or sharp objects.
- The Tablet is designed for daily use; therefore, each Tablet must be charged and ready for use each school day. Tablets should be charged at home.
- The Tablet must remain free of stickers, writing, painting, or any other forms of adornment.
Cost of Tablet, Apps, and Accessories
- The replacement cost of the Tablet is approximately $400 and includes: Tablet, Tablet case, Tablet screen protector, and Tablet charger.
- In the event of theft, loss or damage due to intentional or unintentional abuse or misuse, it is the parent's/guardian's responsibility to cover the cost of the tablet and all accessories.
- It is the parent's/guardian's responsibility to cover the cost of district issued accessories in the event of theft, loss or damage due to intentional or unintentional abuse or misuse. Cost for accessory replacement includes, but is not limited to:
- Power Charger ($30)
- Case ($25)
- Screen Protector ($15)
- District issued software applications (apps) are needed for student learning and should not be deleted.
- Modifying the settings of the district issued Tablet or deleting district issued software applications apps(s) may result in student discipline and/or the need for reformatting at a cost to the student.
Damaged, Lost, or stolen tablets
- In the event that a district issued Tablet is damaged, lost, or stolen the student and parent/guardian should immediately notify the school administrator. The filing of a report by the parent/ guardian may be advised at that time.
- In the event that a police report is filed for a lost or stolen Tablet, Kent City Community Schools may deploy location software which may aid the administration in recovering the Tablet.
- Students who unenroll from Kent City Community Schools during the school year must return the Tablet, along with any issued accessories, at the time they leave the district. The Tablet and all accessories should be returned to the school's main office. Failure to return a Tablet in a timely fashion may result in legal action.
Distribution of tablets
- Each student will receive a Tablet formatted by Kent City Community Schools.
- A unique, individual Tablet will follow the student throughout his/her career at Kent City Community Schools.
- A parent/guardian may choose not to have their child participate in the Tablet take-home program by sending written notification to the building principal. In this event, students will be issued a Tablet, but will not be able to take the device home. Students who do not participate in the Tablet take-home program will pick up and return their Tablet to an area designated by the building principal on a daily basis. Kent City Community Schools cannot guarantee equal access to materials and/or quality of materials to students opting out of the Tablet take-home program.
- Tablets will be distributed at the beginning of the school year and collected at the end of the school year. Tablets not turned in by the last day of school will be treated as lost or stolen tablets, which will include fees and possible legal action.
- Students who leave Kent City Community Schools during the school year must return their Tablet, along with any other accessories when they leave the district. Failure to return a Tablet in a timely fashion may result in legal action.
Student Use of the Tablet
- The Tablet is the property of Kent City Community Schools and as a result may be seized and reviewed at any time. The student should have NO expectation of privacy of materials found on a Tablet or a school-supplied or supported email service.
- The Tablet comes equipped with both a front and rear camera and video capacities. As with all recording devices, it is best practice and common courtesy to ask permission before recording an individual or group. Students must obtain school permission to publish a photograph or video of any school related activity.
- Students are responsible for bringing their Tablet to school every day unless otherwise directed by a staff member. Failure to bring a Tablet or any other class material(s) does not release the student from their responsibility for class work. If a student repeatedly fails to bring materials to class, including a Tablet, the student will be subject to disciplinary action.
- It is the student's responsibility to bring their Tablet to school fully charged. A student's repeated failure to bring their Tablet charged may result in disciplinary action.
- While personalized screensavers or backgrounds are permitted, inappropriate or provocative images including but not limited to pornographic images, guns, weapons, inappropriate language, threatening language, drugs, alcohol, or gang-related images are not permitted and such actions are subject to disciplinary action.
- A student may download non-explicit music and apps.
- Games, music, videos, and sound use, while at school, will be at the discretion of the classroom teacher and building administrator.
- The Tablet affords limited electronic storage space. As with all electronic files, it is good practice to back up, duplicate, or archive files to an independent storage space.
- The district issued Tablet is designed as a tool for learning; misuse of the Tablet may result in disciplinary action.
- All students should recognize and guard their personal and private information. While on the Internet, students shall not reveal personal information, including a home address or phone number, or the address or phone numbers of other students.
- Kent City Community Schools encourages students to take their Tablet home at night for class work and recharging. All care, handling and appropriate use that is in effect during the school day shall extend to the use of the Tablet at home.
- Kent City Community Schools makes no guarantee, written or implied, that materials on the Tablet, including student work, will be safe from deletion or corruption, accidental or otherwise.